Chargrilled Marinated Capsicum
- 1.2 kg red capsicum (don't stress about the exact amount - more or less works fine)
- 6-7 garlic cloves (peeled and thinly sliced)
- 1 cup (250ml) olive oil (vegetable oil is fine)
- 1/4 cup (65ml) red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
Preparation:40min › Cook:30min › Ready in:1hour10min
- Preheat the grill on high.
- Remove pith and seeds from capsicum. Cut into quarters and flatten (so it will cook evenly).
- Place the first batch of capsicum on an oven tray under the grill (skin side up) and cook until the skin is blackened and starts to blister.
- Remove capsicum and place into a plastic bag and twist to close (I just use fruit and veg plastic bags).
- Leave in the closed plastic bag for 5 minutes to steam (this makes the skin easier to remove).
- At this stage, I put another batch of capsicum under the grill.
- Remove capsicum from the bag - you may need to place it aside to allow it to cool sufficiently to handle, and peel off blackened skin.
- Slice capsicum in long strips. Place capsicum into sterilised jars (see note) with garlic.
- Combine oil, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper in a container.
- Pour over capsicum and seal. If it doesn't cover the capsicum just add more oil.
The first time I made this I sterilised the jars, however, it all got eaten.
this is better than store bought. I sterilized 2 jars but they will be eaten well before the sterilization would be needed . - 21 May 2010