1 person made this
After Easter, Whitsuntide fairs were enjoyed and people bought "fairings" for their loved ones to enjoy. Ginger fairings were sometimes gilded to make them more special.
250g plain flour
2 teaspoons bicarb soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
4 tablespoons golden syrup
3 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons mixed spice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C. Sieve together the flour, salt, spices, baking powder and bicarb soda.
- Rub in the butter, and add the sugar. Spoon the syrup in to a cup, stand in shallow water in a pan and heat gently until soft.
- Pour the liquid syrup onto the other ingredients and work in thoroughly. With floury hands, roll the mixture into small balls and place on a greased baking tray, well spaced out.
- Bake in preheated oven moving the biscuits from the top to the bottom shelf of the oven the moment they being to brown.
- Cooking time is about 10 - 20 minutes according to size.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate