Slow and Hearty Soup
Serves : 6
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 sticks of celery, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup diced cabbage
- 1 cube of frozen spinach
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 450g cubed pork
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 3 cups liquid chicken stock
- 3 - 4 cups water
- 1 (400g) tin diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- To Serve
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar per serve (optional)
- grated parmesan cheese (optional)
Preparation:30min › Cook:6hours › Extra time:30min › Ready in:7hours
- Submerge lentils under water to remove impurities that will rise to the surface, rinse and drain.
- Add lentils to the slow cooker with all the other ingredients in the order listed.
- Stir and cook on high for 6-7 hours.
- If necessary, add a cup or 2 of extra water to achieve desired consistency.
- Remove the bay leaf before serving.
- It may sound strange but mixing a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar through your soup gives it a tangy zing! Alternatively you could simply top it with grated parmesan cheese.
Great recipe. I use cubed potatoes and carrots instead of pork. My ideas come from restaurant style ideas. http://tinyurl.com/yetl5nu - 27 Mar 2010
It doesn't get much easier than this, and for winter, it's the perfect bowl of comfort food. Doesn't hurt that it's super healthy!! - 05 Aug 2009
This soup is sooo tasty. I have made it for 3 different groups of people and they have all asked for the recipe. It is really filling as well. - 24 May 2010