Smoked duck and wild mushroom risotto
- Stock ingredients
- Chicken carcass, fat removed
- 1 large onion
- 2 carrots
- 2 celery sticks
- Fresh bouquet garnis
- 4 egg whites, gently beaten
- Risotto ingredients
- Risotto rice (enough for two, depending on appetite - about 1 cup)
- 2 banana shallots, finely chopped
- 1 fat clove of garlic, finely chopped
- Large glass of dry white wine
- 1 smoked duck breast (unsmoked won't cut it), thinly sliced
- 2 handfuls of fresh wild mushrooms, sliced
- 1 handful of dried wild mushrooms (ceps or porcini at the very least) - rehydrated and sliced
- 1 litre of chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon of freshly ground Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon of fresh fennel herb, finely chopped (optional)
Preparation:3hours › Cook:25min › Extra time:35min › Ready in:4hours
- Stock method : chop the onion, celery and carrot into large chunks and put it on a baking tray. Sit the chicken carcass on top.
- Roast in the over for an hour, or until chicken carcass is browned.
- Put it all in a stock pot and cover with water and add bouquet garni.
- Bring to the boil and reduce to a gentle popping simmer for at least 2 hours, preferably 3 or 4 hours. Strain through muslin.
- Return to the heat and add the egg whites, gently simmer for 15 minutes.
- Sieve through a piece of muslin, should be clear consommé by now. Keep it warm.
- Risotto method: saute shallots in butter until translucent. Add garlic and cook for one or two minutes (don't brown it.) Add the rice and cook for a minute or two. Add the wine and reduce until its about gone.
- Add a cup of stock at a time, reducing before adding another. After 15-20 minutes add duck, wild mushrooms and squeezed out rehydrated mushrooms (not the water.) Add one more cup of stock and cook out.
- Add parmesan and fennel and cook through for one minute.
- Serve. Wait for adoration, praise and deferential sycophancy. Feel proud of yourself and drink too much.
This dish was incredible, so full of flavour and really warming (which is needed in chilly u.k!) Thanks for posting, My Husband doesn't like fennel, but even he agreed that it made the dish perfect! it's going to become one of my regulars for friends! - 16 Jan 2011
Something else. I used some stock from freezer that had been made from the leftover christmas turkey and doubled the amount of fresh mushrooms as im not keen on dried ones! I fried off the fresh mushrooms with garlic and a splash of wine and set aside to the end, adding them at the same time as the duck, LUSH! - 16 Jan 2011