1 / 1 Picture by:
Serves : 8
- 5 hogget steaks (about 750 g)
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 leeks, sliced
- 3 potatoes, roughly chopped
- 1/4 butternut pumpkin, roughly chopped
- 3 carrots, roughly chopped
- 1 broccoli head
- 1 brown onion
- 1 cup mushrooms, roughly chopped or whole if they are small
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp red curry powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tin (400 g) diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 500 ml of beef stock
- 1 cup red wine
- 4 bay leaves
- For the dumplings
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tbsp butter, melted
- 1/4 cup parsley, roughly chopped (can be replaced with 2 tbsp of dried mixed herbs)
- 2 + 1 tbsp of grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp paprika
Preparation:30min › Cook:5hours › Ready in:5hours30min
- Heat slow-cooker to high or heat Dutch oven on stove top.
- Coat meat with flour.
- Add about 50 ml olive oil to the slow-cooker or Dutch oven, then add meat and brown over high heat (should take about 4-5 mins.)
- Add chopped leeks, onion, curry paste, cumin and coriander and cook for a further 2-3 mins.
- Add the potatoes, pumpkin, carrots, broccoli and mushrooms.
- Add beef stock, tomato, red wine, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix ingredients and add the bay leaves.
- Cover and cook until meat falls off the bone (low setting on slow-cooker about 4-5 hours, or on the high setting in a slow cooker or in the Dutch oven at about 150°C it will take 3-4 hours)
- Make the dumplings by mixing the self-raising flour, melted butter, parsley and 2 tbsp of parmesan with enough milk to combine. Season with salt and pepper
- Tip mixture onto a floured surface and work into a ball. Divide dough into 12-18 pieces and roll each into a small ball.Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Transfer slow-cooked meat/vegetable to an oven proof cooking container. Place dumplings evenly over the surface of the slow-cooked mixture, sprinkle the paprika and remaining parmesan over the dumplings, cover and place in the preheated oven.
- After 10 minutes, remove the lid and allow to cook for a further 20 minutes uncovered.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
Tell others what you thought of this recipe!