Barbecued Chilli Lime Prawns
- 48 king prawns, peeled and deveined
- 4 limes, zested and juiced
- 4 green chillies, seeded and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 5cm piece fresh ginger, grated
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
Preparation:30min › Cook:5min › Extra time:4hours marinating › Ready in:4hours35min
- Place the prawns and lime peel in a large, non-metallic bowl. Place the lime juice, chillies, garlic, ginger and onion in a food processor or blender, and process until smooth. You may need to add a little oil to facilitate blending. Pour over the bowl of prawns, and stir to coat. Cover, and refrigerate for 4 hours.
- Preheat barbecue for medium-high heat. Thread prawns onto skewers, piercing each first through the tail, and then the head.
- Brush cooking grate with oil. Cook prawns for 5 minutes, turning once, or until opaque.
Used different ingredients. We really enjoyed this. The lime and spice level were just right (I left the seeds in half of the jalapenos). I learned somewhere along the way that a citrus marinade essentially cooks seafood if left too long (and 4 hours would be considered too long), so I marinated the prawn for about a half hour, and it absorbed the flavour perfectly without sacrificing texture. I sliced some extra onion and grilled it with the prawn in a grill pan until it was nice and caramelized--yum! This was easy to prepare and went very well with Sweet and Sassy Vanilla Slaw, also from this site. - 29 Sep 2008
It turned out wonderful and was gone before everything else. Contrary to what some have said it's the perfect amount of spice (not too much and not too little), I would only cut out some of the chillis if you are sensitive to spicy foods. I will probably make it everytime I grill. - 29 Sep 2008
Used different ingredients. Why cooked prawns? Use fresh if bbq'ing. - 17 Nov 2010